Friday 26 August 2022

Making a meal of it


I knew that larger dragonflies hunt smaller dragonflies but I have never seen it before.  It is now towards the end of the season for emperor dragonflies but they were still very active earlier this week.  While I was watching a male on patrol he suddenly dived into the reeds and there was a clattering of wings.  I thought at first he had found a female, which he had in a way, but not of the same species.  This was an ovipositing female common darter and was about to become lunch. He flew away from the water with his prize and I ran round the pond to find him.

He then flew a short distance away, right beside a path, so I followed.  I watched as he was devouring his catch until someone else came along and he flew off.




Most times emperor dragonflies catch smaller insect prey and eat it on the wing.  A catch of this size means he has to perch to eat.  It has been a very good season for emperors and they are still active in late August (and still hungry).  Later I saw an ovipositing female so they are not done yet either.  She had very blue colouration on the abdomen (unlike the normal green).  I think this is a colour variation rather than a sign of advanced maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment