Tuesday 9 August 2022

Catching up with moths

I don't think I am cut out for serious moth trapping.  It is a fairly addictive pastime but there are so many that I can't put a name to that I am scared of putting the trap out again for fear of increasing the backlog.  And I don't like to ask for advice too often, although when I do it is freely given.  First here are a few moths from a couple of sessions in Gosforth Nature Reserve with the NHSN Moth Group.

Best of the lot was a Scarce Silver-lines, recorded on only nine previous occasions in Northumberland, all from in or around Newcastle.

This is an Iron Prominent,

Marbled Beauty,

and Miller.

Next some of those from my garden moth trap.

Buff-tip,

Green Pug,

Blood-vein,

Middle-barred Minor,

Tawny-barred Angle (thanks to Stewart Sexton for the i.d.),

Shoulder-striped Wainscot,

Map-winged Swift,

Drinker,

Beautiful Snout, a moth with only two records in Northumberland,

Barred Yellow,

Swallow-tailed Moth,

Clouded Border,

Common White Wave,

and a rather battered moth that took shelter in my study on the hottest day of the year, an Old Lady.

The trap is going out again tonight and I'll post any new findings (if I can work out what they are). Here is the Drinker again.

1 comment: