Tuesday 26 October 2021

Even more moths

Since my last post on moths in the garden I have been setting the trap every week or two and each time I find moths I haven't seen before - apart from the latest time when the only thing in the trap was a crane fly.  The species count is now over 100 although there are also several mid-sized greyish-brown jobs I am not sure about.  The rest of them have been spectacular so here are few of the recent beauties I can identify fairly confidently.

Blood-vein,

Canary-shouldered Thorn,

and Centre-barred Sallow.

I joined the North East Garden Moth Scheme meeting in Gosforth Nature Reserve one evening and saw these three - Herald,

Devon Carpet, apparently a first record for the county,

and Small Phoenix.

Back in my garden - Pebble Hook-tip,

Silver Y,

Mother of Pearl (a micro-moth, but rather a large one),

Copper Underwing,

Dusky Thorn,

Shuffle-shaped Dart,

Angle Shades,

Rosy Rustic,

and Red-green Carpet.

The last is the second largest moth I have seen - a Red Underwing.


That's it until next year.  I look forward to next spring to see what will turn up then.

No comments:

Post a Comment