Saturday 19 June 2021

Right on cue

The morning after I wrote my last post the dog fox turned up at 6am, obviously still hungry and hoping I had put out more food over night.

As he turned to leave, disappointed, another fox trotted across the lawn - the first cub of the year here.  I suppose it had been following its father around and it also came over to sniff for food.  The dog had gone so the cub sat on the lawn for a while before trotting away.  It is quite well grown but has to be able to jump over the rabbit fence to get in.





Last night I was ready, with two cameras set up.  As usual the dog turned up first, before dark.  I have wondered for a while if he was missing a left upper canine and this is confirmed.

Later the vixen was here and was joined by the half-tail cub from last year.


After they left there was a long pause so I was just thinking of going to bed when a cub turned up and started eating peanuts.



Another fox walked across in front of me and the cub snapped at it so it didn't stay.  I didn't see it clearly and thought at the time that it was the full-tailed cub from last year.  However, it has long black socks, which none of the adult foxes has so I now wonder if it was a cub, although it looks a bit bigger.  It isn't a fox I recognise.

Moments later another cub bounded in, paler in colour and with ears flattened in submission.  The first one turned its back (body blocking) but they soon settled down to share the peanuts.






Then something off to the right caught their attention and they ran into the copse on the left.  I don't know what it was as nothing else arrived.  It could have been another fox, or perhaps a late dog walker on the golf course.

Tonight I shall be ready, hoping to see at least three cubs together.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to meet the new generation. Cute as buttons! I've witnessed the same body blocking behaviour over food with my backyard skunks. Sorry the dog lost a canine but it makes a handy identity feature.

    ReplyDelete