Monday 5 April 2021

Out and about in March

Not so much out and about really as we have been in lockdown until a few days ago.  When I did get out for a walk in the woods I met a frog coming the other way.  It wasn't in the mood to give way so I had to, after taking a photo on my iPhone.



A surprise sighting in the garden was a male pheasant, the first I have seen since my regular visitor used to come to the door every morning over three years ago.  He was here two days in a row but may not become a regular.



I doubt if I shall see much of the sparrowhawk from now on.  He was here a lot in March but in previous years the sparrowhawk has disappeared at about this time of year, probably to join up with a mate in a chosen breeding territory. This one is still looking very handsome.



I managed to squeeze in my Bumblebee Conservation Trust Bee Walk in the brief warmth on the last day of the month. I saw only 12 bumblebees but of five different species.  Then when I got home there was a garden bumblebee (Bombus hortorum) in the garden, appropriately enough.  This was also taken on the iPhone.

I heard a chiffchaff in the garden, unusual for here and the first sign of a summer visitor.  I hope the first blackcap will be here soon.  This has been a very disappointing winter for visiting finches.  I haven't seen a brambling or a redpoll but I have recently seen male and female siskins on the feeders.


March felt to me cold, dry and windy, much as March should be, I suppose.  In fact the Met Office data show it was warmer than recent (1981-2010) average.  Perhaps it felt colder because of the wind.  The Met Office maps don't show wind speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment