Thursday 17 September 2020

Sparrowhawk news

I haven't seen a sparrowhawk in the last few days but I know one has been around because there is evidence of a kill every time I mow the lawn.  The yearling bird from three weeks ago reappeared on the perch briefly about 10 days ago and another one was here very early this morning, probably a different bird.

The latest bird didn't stay for long but he spent several minutes watching the ground below the perch intently, perhaps looking for a bank vole.


It is interesting to compare the appearance of the latest bird (R) with the yearling from three weeks ago (L).  The new bird has full adult tail feathers, his white supercilium (eyebrow) is much less obvious and he is generally less dishevelled.

I can be pretty sure it is not the same bird as he has a different pattern of dark marks pattern on the cere and lacks the small nick in the culmen.  He also has a darker eye and a different shaped nostril.  The light was poor this morning so I shall need a better photo if he returns so I can tell if he is one of the other birds I have seen before.


No comments:

Post a Comment