Sunday 27 September 2020

Silver Y

This beautiful moth spent a whole day on the outside of my window.  It was a miserable grey drizzly day so I expect it was just waiting for the weather to improve.  It is a Silver Y, Autographa gamma, a common and widespread moth that is often seen in the daytime.  This one was happy for me to practice a few close-up photos.  I used flash and because it is reflected away by the glass it gives a dark background.  The second photo was taken from inside, through the window.  The window wasn't clean (!) but I have tidied up the photos as much as I can.


The photos above were taken with a 100mm macro lens.  I also use a clip-on Raynox 250 to get closer but I was limited by the position of the moth on the window and the width of the ring flash.  Here are close-ups of the scales on the wing and the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment