Tuesday 21 July 2020

The otters walk the plank

This was very satisfying.  After the trauma of last week, when the mother otter tried to pull the pup up the sluice gate by its nose, I put in a plank to form a ramp for the otters.  And they use it.  Here are the two with a completely painless ascent of the gate.  For the pup it is still a bit of a scramble.







I had two cameras set, one with a close focus and one with a standard lens so I also made a different version of the action.  See what you think.



I have also seen a solo otter go through, looking slightly weary.  My guess is that this is not the resident female as her pup is now too big to be left alone, so I wonder if it is one of last year's pups (presumably female) still sharing the territory.



2 comments:

  1. That's quite astonishing. You'd have thought they'd been using them all their lives! The adult just zips up it with no hesitation. The "weary" otter looks leaden-footed! Ill? But went up the ramp ok.

    ReplyDelete