Wednesday 8 July 2020

A new fox cub in the garden


At last.  I have been looking out for a cub for the last three weeks.  The adult foxes have been visiting every evening at dusk but until two nights ago I hadn't seen a cub.  This is three weeks later than the previous two years so the cub is already well grown.  On both nights it has arrived with the vixen.  The first time it was very excited and was running round the garden so that I was worried I wouldn't even get a photo.  But eventually it calmed down and came over to eat some biscuits.


This cub is instantly recognisable because it is missing half of its tail.  I don't know whether this is from an injury or a congenital malformation (I suspect the former is more likely) but I have decided to call it Bob.


Last night the cub was still very excited and was carrying off biscuits to bury them in the lawn.

The bond between mother and cub is obviously very strong.  In a few weeks time the cub will have to leave the territory, especially if it is male.



Last year the number of visiting cubs gradually increased from one to five over a couple of weeks so there is still time for me to see more this year.  I'll certainly be able to tell if I see a different cub from this one, even if there is only one.  I hope there will be more reports to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment