Saturday 14 March 2020

Feeding the crows


This has been going on for the last couple of years and I think by now the crows have got me well trained.  Each time I get home they are sitting on the roof waiting for me.  As soon as they see me they fly down to the lawn outside the kitchen window and peer up at the window trying to look hungry until I give in and throw them some peanuts.  There are often three, sometimes four, but two are dominant.  I think these must be the resident pair and the others are last year's young who are reluctant to move on (carrion crows don't breed until two years of age).


They all scoff as many peanuts as they can and then try to pick as many as they can before flying off with a beakful.






Although they are family there is no spirit of cooperation between them and it is each crow for itself.  They are tolerant of me to a certain extent (after all I provide the food) but remain quite wary and jumpy.  They were very suspicious when I put down a trail camera to get a closer view but I did manage to make this short montage.


In the absence of a trail camera one or two crows return almost immediately in case there is anything left.  This time a couple of magpies came in to clean up.  This is a good example of how the Poundland close focus lens brings the focus forwards on the trail camera, giving good focus from less than 1m up to about 2 or 3m.  Without the extra lens it focuses from 2 or 3m to infinity so anything closer is blurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment