Saturday 16 November 2019

Up close with RatCam

I have been experimenting.  One of the limitations of most trail cameras is their inability to focus closer than about 2m. Often the otters are closer to the camera than that and are consequently out of focus.  I had already adapted the Browning cameras I use with a rain hood made from flexible plastic covered with camouflaged gaffer tape.

To allow closer focus I have now also fitted them with high tech close focus lenses, using a lens from +1.25 dioptre reading glasses from the pound shop.  

And it seems to work well.  Although I have managed a few brief otter pictures the main problem so far has been getting the otter into the right place facing the right way as the field of view is necessarily now restricted.  In the meantime I have managed some great rat footage.  These are frame grabs from video.


Rats are not my favourite animals and they are a real nuisance in the reedbeds as they often steal the sardines before the otter(s) turn up.  However, they are intelligent resourceful animals and are part of the great scheme of things.  I have seen them pretty much wherever I have tried to find otters so there are plenty of them about - on a bad night I can end up with 150 rat video clips!  While I am waiting for better otter footage the rats have at least proved that the close focus works.  Not bad for plastic lenses costing 50p each.

This shows how the focus is still pretty good when the rat is fairly close to the camera.

Watch this video right to the end.

I also got a brief glimpse of a tawny owl but unfortunately it was very close to the camera and out of focus.  The reaction time of the camera is said to be around 0.5s and the owl was gone after 2s so it was a very quick strike.

The owl took off very quickly but going frame by frame I can see there is a mouse in its talons.  A pity it wasn't a rat.




I'll keep on experimenting and post better otter pictures if I get some.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! What made it do that I wonder? - The watch it to the end video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea Phil. It looks as though it had stepped on a spring. I presume it imagined a threat that wasn't there. Or was just practicing diving. They go into the water a lot - I have seen a lot of rat videos recently!

      Delete