Monday 26 February 2018

A new trail camera


I recently bought a new trail camera, a Browning Recon Force Extreme.  I have already posted some roe deer photos and videos but I first tried it out on the foxes by the back door.  The first night I had it set to take still photos but the settings were a bit too enthusiastic and it recorded over 6600 photos!  I deleted all but a handful but here are the best.





Since then I have been using the camera to record video, as with all the recent roe deer pictures.  Because it records full HD video at either 30 or 60 frames per second it is also possible to save individual frames as stills, so that is what I have been doing since.  I think the frame grabs are at least as good as the photos so I'll use that in future.  In the three photos below the wall light was on.  Although it is an ordinary 60W light bulb, it emits a lot of infrared as well as visible light and I think that improves the image.



This camera has by far the best image resolution for infrared night-time photos that I have come across.  I'll still use the old Wingscapes for colour night-time stills for as long as it lasts but the Browning will be the main camera from now on. I have been using it to check whether the deer are still coming into the garden at night (they are) but I'll be trying it out in the nearby woods in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment