Saturday 13 January 2018

A curlew's breakfast


I saw this handsome curlew wandering along the water's edge looking for its breakfast.  After a couple of minutes it caught a crab.  It spent a few moments flicking the crab around. 





I was amazed to see that it could increase the curvature of its bill to get a better grip.

It then swallowed the crab whole and presumably still alive.


After the crab had disappeared the curlew had a lump in its throat.

A little farther on it caught and swallowed another one.



Then it turned and came back towards me and found an enormous worm which it pulled out of the sand and swallowed.






Not quite what I would fancy for breakfast but that is obviously what curlews like to eat.  I wonder if they can feel the crabs and worms wriggling around inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment