Monday 16 January 2017

Garden foxes


Most of my recent posts about the foxes in the garden have been using the colour still trail camera with flash (as above) but I had another go with the infrared video camera.  The fox(es) come for food every night - usually peanuts.  I am pretty sure there is more than one because on the camera last week one was noticeably smaller and slimmer than the other.

The video camera records 30s clips and there were 56 in one night meaning that, with short gaps inbetween, the fox(es) were in the garden for at least half an hour.  I was surprised to see the first recording was only 20 minutes after I put the food out after dark so maybe the fox was already in the wood watching me and waiting.  There were 9 clips recorded before 19:00 and then a break until 23:16 when another 33 clips were recorded.  Then a wood mouse at 00:07 followed by another 14 fox clips starting at 01:49.  So I suppose it could be three foxes, or two, or one coming back three times.  I'm also a bit surprised that the first fox didn't finish all the peanuts.

There follow three clips, one from each session.  Do you think it is all the same fox?  It isn't easy because the second time the fox was sitting down nearly all the time, making it more difficult to judge its size.  I also wonder if the first fox, and perhaps the third, is limping.  (I think the videos probably won't play on an iPad or iPhone unless it has a different browser installed.  I think they also might not run on an iMac without something like Google Chrome but I can't test it out for sure until after I post this.) - since posting I found that the iMac won't run the videos in Safari but they work fine in Google Chrome.  I think the problem is that Safari can't handle Adobe Flash.  They also work on my old Windows computer.




2 comments:

  1. It looks as if they don't find them very easy to chew? Teeth designed for something other than cocktail snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting Phil that the foxes seem to eat the peanuts very slowly. They eat them one at a time, as far as I can tell from watching them through the back door last summer, and chew them very carefully. It is almost as if they are relishing them, rather like a dog eating a chocolate. They good thing is it gives the camera time to react.

      Delete