Thursday 18 June 2015

Full circle

The arrival of the great spotted woodpecker chicks in the garden this week reminds me that it now just over a year since I started writing this blog. 





My first post on 14th June last year was on woodpeckers feeding their young.  Taking a good photo of the feeding is a challenge because the chick is usually sitting on the wrong branch, or the wrong tree or just out of view.  My luck was in this morning.  Considering the poor light under the trees on a cloudy windy day the photos aren't too bad.  It is interesting that most of the feeding seems to be done by the fathers.





Here is something I don't think I have ever seen before - both birds on the feeder.  And it happened twice this afternoon.





The chicks are quick learners and soon work out how to get onto the peanuts and feed themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment