Tuesday 21 May 2024

A hornet in the garden


Four days ago in the meadow I spotted something large and yellow out of the corner of my eye but it flew off before I could see what it was.  Armed with a camera I stood waiting for another view and after a few further brief glimpses I got a couple of blurry photos to confirm it was a European Hornet queen (Vespa crabro).


The hornet was flying around the trees, looking as though it was searching for a nest site rather than hunting.  Yesterday I was standing by the pond in the meadow when the hornet flew down for a drink.  One thing I have learnt is always to carry a camera in the meadow so this time I was ready for it.



An hour later it was back for more water.  Hornets collect water to use with chewed dead wood to make the papier-mâché they use to build their nests so I am very hopeful this one has a nest nearby, perhaps even in the garden.  If it sticks around you can expect more photos here.

Hornets are present in most of England and Wales but are rare in the north.  I was pleased to find that this is the most northerly confirmed British record.  This image shows records in iRecord with mine in red.

I am about 2km north of Gosforth Nature Reserve where hornets were present in 2018 but haven't been seen since early the following year.  Here are a couple of my favourite photos from then.

2 comments:

  1. Just seen several in North Wales! Neil P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another first for you, Chris with the most northerly record!

    ReplyDelete