Wednesday 10 April 2024

News from the weasel wall

Because the trail cameras in the camera boxes have been seeing weasels and stoats fairly regularly I set up a camera to watch the newly extended weasel wall.  And on the first day there was a stoat.

The camera in this position was picking up lots of false triggers (it turned out to be a fault in a new camera) so I moved it to the other side.  This video shows a male weasel, which was followed 90 minutes later by a male stoat.



Next time it was the stoat again.  It seems to enjoy the safety of the wall.


Since then both the stoat and the weasel have appeared every few days and from their size I think both animals are male.  Both will have large territories and be using the wall as one of several bases around their patch.

I would prefer a female as that would increase the chance of seeing youngsters later in the year (weasels and stoats lead solitary lives so I think it is unlikely males and females would both be in the wall).  Both stoats and weasels have their young about now so it is unlikely there is a litter in the wall just now.  Females of both species move their kits to new nests fairly frequently so I live in hope.  Finally, here's a video of (a weasel) coming and (a stoat) going.  The weasel activity was all within a minute but I have edited out the gaps where it was inside the wall.

1 comment: