Monday 5 February 2024

Winter ladybirds


A year ago I learnt that winter is the best time to look for ladybirds and that graveyards are one of the best places to look.  This winter I have been regularly popping into cemeteries and churchyards, armed with a torch and a camera.  Here are a few of the ladybirds I have seen.

This is a red bimaculata form of 10-spot Ladybird in a small crevice in a gravestone in Jesmond.

This is a black bimaculata form of 10-spot Ladybird on an adjacent gravestone.

When I went back a week later to get a better photo of the red one the black one had joined it.

And a month later the red one had disappeared and been replaced by a Cream-spot Ladybird.

I have seen several other interesting variations of 10-spot Ladybird but they are often tucked away making it difficult to get a good photo. 





Two Pine Ladybirds with different markings.


Pine Ladybirds are not the only black ladybirds with four red spots.  Here is a Pine Ladybird at the top with two quadrimaculata forms of 2-spot Ladybird.

And an unusual 2-spot Ladybird, f. bar annulata.

Most ladybirds at this time of year are immobile but I found a Larch Ladybird wandering round on a gravestone in the sunshine at Slaley, a first for me.  I have yet to find one in a larch tree.

An Eyed Ladybird, the largest UK species.

Here are a few more, not on gravestones.  A Harlequin 
Ladybird.

An Orange Ladybird.

A 7-spot Ladybird.

A 10-spot Ladybird, f. decempustulata.

And my favourite recent ladybird photo, two Water Ladybirds.

Having been to several churchyards and cemeteries that have no ladybirds I am gradually learning where they are more likely to be.  Even then it is a bit unpredictable.  Dinnington churchyard had none a year ago but four species when I returned this winter.  I'll keep looking.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic array! I hadn't heard of most of these and now I want to go out and look for them

    ReplyDelete