Friday 10 February 2023

Ladybirds week 2

On the second field trip looking for ladybirds we visited Havannah Nature Reserve.  Although it is less than two miles from here as the ladybird flies I think I have only been there two or three times in 30 years.  It is mainly lowland heath on the site of old mine workings and offers Scots pine, gorse, heather and marsh.  The main targets were Striped, Adonis and Larch Ladybirds but in the end we didn't find any of these (all would have been new to me).  Ladybirds we did see were Pine Ladybird  (Exochomus quadripustulatus),

7-spot Ladybird (Coccinella septempunctuata) with another beastie in the net,

another 7-spot, this one dead after being parasitised by Dinocampus coccinellae, like the one I posted recently,

and 22-spot Ladybird (Psyllobora vigintiduopunctata).

I came home via Banks Pond which was only another mile farther on. There I found five Water Ladybirds (Anisosticta novemdecimpunctataand two Red Marsh Ladybirds (Coccidula rufa), the second of these a first for me, so it was a very worthwhile extra.



As the weather was fine I returned to Havannah the next afternoon and found a Striped Ladybird (Myzia oblongoguttata).  I can't think how James had missed it the day before!

I have now seen 13 species of ladybird in two weeks, eight of which were new to me.  The next target is the Heather Ladybird.

No comments:

Post a Comment