Thursday 2 June 2022

A good night for the moth trap

Last night was the second outing for the moth trap this year.  First time out last month I caught six moths of five species, all mid-sized greyish brown that I haven't yet got round to looking up.  The forecast was good last night with a gentle breeze and I was up early this morning to see what had come in.  The first moth out was this spectacular Small Elephant Hawk-moth, one I haven't seen before.



Next was a Poplar Hawk-moth.  This is how it looks in the egg cartons.


And here posing for photos.


Here is a size comparison between the two hawk-moths.

And next another new species for the garden, a Green Silver-lines.


Altogether there were 13 moths of ten species.  The others were Heart and Dart,

Brown Rustic,

Common Pug (I think),

Small Square-spot (I think),

Swallow Prominent,



a beautifully camouflaged Common Marbled Carpet,

and a White Ermine.

It is amazing to think all these beautiful creatures are flying round my garden every night, previously unseen.  I'll set the trap again in a week or two and post any good finds here.

No comments:

Post a Comment