Friday 15 January 2021

An update from OtterCam

I have seen only single otters on the trail cameras in the past week or so.  Because otters look very alike on infrared video it is difficult to tell if this is all the dog otter.  I am expecting the mother and cub to go their separate ways any day now and it will then be very difficult to tell who is who.  I have added a fifth camera looking back along a path into the reedbed.  In the first video a single otter triggers all five cameras in just over a minute.  The second clip in the sequence is lit by three cameras at once and you can see how much that improves the image.





We have had a little bit of wet snow but not as much as I was hoping for for the videos.  In this video the otter goes down the bank, triggering all four cameras, before swimming off into the icy water.  Rather him than me.


2 comments: