Saturday 12 December 2020

A big surprise on CulvertCam

So far animals seen on the camera(s) in the culvert have included otter, water shrew, water vole, field vole, brown rat, American mink, water rail, robin, wren, moorhen, mallard, frog (being eaten by an otter), and spider.  When I arrived to check the camera this time I could see some very strange tracks inside the pipe but couldn't work out what animal had left them.

All was revealed by the trail camera.



I am amazed that the swan would go through the pipe which is 75cm in diameter.  As you'll see from the video it had second thoughts the first time but did eventually pluck up the courage to go right through.  I can't read the ring to see which swan it is.

Although the camera is fairly securely clamped to the end of the pipe, and is now otter-proof, I am lucky it wasn't knocked into the water by the swan.  For the moment I have removed it to use it elsewhere.

1 comment: