Monday 23 December 2019

OtterCam in December - part II


Here is a quick follow-up to yesterday's post.  When I got to the sluice gate this morning there were new tracks with a tail drag so I knew an otter had been past in the night and hoped the cameras had seen it.  You can see that the otter's feet slip on the slimy surface so it doesn't make classical paw prints.



The otter had passed very close to one camera so all there was was a glimpse of its tail.  The other one was much better.


Over seven hours later it went back the other way.

The camera can't "see" the otter before it arrives and takes about 0.5s to switch on and start recording so the video clip is very short.  The otter has obviously seen the infrared light from the cameras as well so it didn't hang around.



The close-focus adapter works well so I have also made a slow motion version so you can see how it moves.




This otter was alone and has no obvious marks so I don't know which individual it is.  I'll keep monitoring and hope to see the pups again, something I haven't done since I saw the family together in daylight last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment