Monday 25 September 2017

Bath time for the kingfisher

One photo I haven't yet taken is a good shot of a kingfisher diving in to catch a fish.  This youngster was bathing rather than fishing but she did give me some practice.  The main problem (apart from my slow reactions and poor reflexes) was that she was on a low stick and was jumping into the water on the far side away from me, so most of the time she was obscured.  These were the best I could manage.







As you can see she was doing a belly flop with her wings outstretched to wet her feathers, not a streamlined fishing dive.  When she got out each time she spent some time preening but taking photos of a kingfisher on a stick is fairly easy.











Next time I have the chance I shall concentrate on the diving shots but don't hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment